Steven Moffat has said that a Doctor Who episode directed by Peter Jackson “will probably happen” one day.
Speaking in SFX Magazine #251, Moffat said: “He’s still incredibly busy on The Hobbit. I’ve spoken to him face to face, and he would like to do one. He accepts that there’s no money and that there’s no time, and it would have to be when he’s available – and I don’t think he’s even been available enough to answer our emails of late!
“I think it will probably happen at some point. I mean, he can do what the hell he likes – he owns New Zealand! I think he’s sincere in his Doctor Who fandom, to say the least. He’s a nice guy, he quite often drops me a line after a show goes out. He’s into it – it’s just ‘Can you make it work?’”
“I think he would also like us to go and make it in New Zealand! And I’m like ‘Okaaay… I’d rather we just flew you to Cardiff!’”
SFX Magazine issue 251 (out today) features previews of all 12 episodes of Doctor Who Series 8.
Highlights of each episode are below:
1. Clara trying to cope with her best friend being someone else. A terrifying monster.
2. Gritty Dalek episode that goes into the last place in the universe the Doctor should be.
3. Very funny Robin Hood story all about being a hero and whether the Doctor is a good man.
4. The story of a date and the Doctor having what appears to be a mild nervous breakdown. Tiny guest cast, no CGI. A bit of Coupling. Quite scary.
5. A Doctor Who heist movie with a cracking monster, one of Neill Gorton’s best.
6. What effect would slipping away with the Doctor have on your life? A hoot with some serious bits. Bit like ‘The Lodger’.
7. Proper drama with monsters and all the Doctor Who stuff that you could want. Also features a callback to a past episode (sort of).
8. Moffat playing the long game with a callback to something from Matt’s first series. A brilliant idea of a monster. Foxes singing.
9. A horror story that starts off with a very cute idea and becomes really quite frightening by the end. One of the best ever sight gags in it.
10. Boldly beautiful, lyrical and poetic. A fairytale, but not Moffat fairytale. Quite different with a clever main visual idea
11/12. High octane action, with Cybermen and some proper UNIT stuff. Strong emotional story about Clara and the Doctor and the fact that the way they interact might not be healthy for everyone around them.
Doctor Who Series 8 will begin on Saturday, 23rd August on BBC One.
“I’m the Doctor” - The new Doctor lands, 23rd August on BBC One.
Colin Baker has spoken about a possible sequel to ‘The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot’.
Speaking to Flicks and the City, Baker said: “All I know is when I last spoke to Peter [Davison], the reaction to Five-ish Doctors has been so positive that we discussed whether it was a good idea to do another one, and we agreed that we didn’t want to do one that was a pale imitation of the first. That would be anti-climatic.”
He added: “We have to come up with a really good idea first. There’s a couple of possibilities floating around, but nothing is set in stone.”
“Clearly doing one about the 51st Anniversary isn’t going to be interesting. It’s got to be about something else.”